Lumbini is situated about 300 km in south west of Kathmandu and 22 km away from Bhairahawa. There is a master plan for Lumbini drawn up in 1978 by Japanese architect Kenzo Tange in conjunction with the UN and with the support of the Nepalese government. The idea was that Lumbini could become home to a massive hub of monasteries, served by transport links that would enable pilgrims and tourists to experience the holy site.The Master Plan covers an area of three square miles on north south and encompasses three zones each covering one square mile (2.56 sq. Kms.). The three zones are united by a 1.474-meter long walkway and a canal. The zones are: a) the Sacred Garden Zone b) the Monastic Zone and c) the New Lumbini Village.
The Maya Devi Temple: It is the main temple at Lumbini and is said to be the exact place where Buddha was born.
Pushkarni Pool: This is a pool where Maya Devi bathed before giving birth to Lord Buddha and also Buddha was given his first purification bath.
Ashokan Pillar: This Pillar was built by Emperor Ashoka and stand next to the Mayadevi temple. The Ashokan Pillar stands at 6 meters and is made from pink sandstone. The pillar was rediscovered in 1896 by Nepalese archaeologist team.
Tilaurakot: Tilaurakot was the cardinal point of the ancient Shakyan city of Kapilvastu. It is about 27 km west of Lumbini where Buddha spent the first 29 years of his life.
Aroarakot: It is a rectangular fortified area about 10 km northwest of Taulihawa. It was identified by the famous Indian archaeologist P. C Mukharji as the natal town of Kanakmuni Buddha.
Gotihawa: This is a small village located about 5 km southwest of Taulihawa. In Gotihawa there is another Ashokan Pillar. The upper part of the pillar is missing and only the lower portion of pillar, 3.5m high, is still intact. It is believed that this sacred site is to be associated with Kanakmuni Buddha and Krakuchhanda Buddha.
Niglihawa: About 7 km north of Taulihawa, Niglihawa is the birthplace of Knakmuni Buddha. It holds a significant archaeological importance. Emperor Ashoka built a Stupa and set a pillar in 249 BC. The pillar is broken into two pieces, the longer one laying flat and the shorter ones stack into the ground.
Kudan: It is about 2 km southwest of Taulihawa where Buddha met his father, mother, wife and son for the first time after his renunciation.
Devdaha: This is the ancient capital of Koliya kingdom located 35 km east of Lumbini. It was the city of birth of queen Mayadevi (mother), Prajapati Gautami (step mother), princess Yasodhara (consort). Buddha spent his early childhood in devdaha.
Sagarhawa: It is about 12 km north of Taulihawa, there is a forest called sagarhawa with a long lake known as Lambusagar. In this site, thousands of Shakyas were massacred by king Virudhaka out of vengeance. Hundred of stupas were built here in their memory by shakyas descendants. German archaeologist Anton Fuhrer excavated it in between 1987-1898.
Ramagrama Stupa: This stupa was built in 6th century B.C and remains the only undamaged and original stupa containing relics of Lord Buddha.